Subject: RE: Cel Look Plugin Filter
From: [email-masked] (Ken VanBrocklin)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:59:54 -0500

Pj Foley wrote:

>I just received a postal system victim issue of Feb. '96 DV
>magazine (it is practally shredded!!!).
>In it somone asks about the availability of the Cel Look filter.
>The response was that it will be available with a future version
>of LW, or ***before for current owners***.  How accurate is
>this?  Can I get it now?

I heard some second hand information that NewTek will be offering a CD rom 
filled with plugins (including Cel Look)  and other cool stuff some time in 
the near future. Has anybody else heard this?

>I've been looking for something
>to do this in an accurate mannor for a LONG TIME.

 At our last LightWave usergroup meeting we stumbled upon a way to simulate
this effect. Someone brought in a model of a Mech he had been working on for 
a game. The model was constructed using simple geometry and had no surfacing 
done besides being green in color and its eyes were red. We were doing a 
compositing and lighting tutorial next, so we used his model as a subject. 
After compositing the Mech into a background plate of the Clan Hall from the 
MechWarrior2 game, we proceeded to do a bang up job of lighting the mech to 
match the Clan Hall. The key here was in the lighting, we turned all ambient 
lighting off, and did a high contrast (self shadows)lighting job using 
various color lights to reflect the light direction and mood of the 
background plate.
 When we rendered the shot I noticed how much it looked like the Cell Look 
effect minus the colored edges. The lighting seemed to make the green 
surface look more diffuse and gradient.
 We then activated the Cell Look plugin that is in the current version of 
LightWave for the Mech object. The results were even better. After a bit of 
fooling around with the lighting we came up with a verry effective Cell Look 
for the Mech object.

Give this a try, or just have some fun playing. Its a cool way to learn 
lighting and you never know what you may stumble upon.

   I hope this helps.
     Ken Van Brocklin